Travelling alone in the Alpha 182 | Travel Writing

 For some it is an act of freedom, for others an act of cowardice, even for someone is just another adventure of their life, however, for me, it’s all of that and more. I feel free, because I’m finally testing my independence, I’m being a bit of a coward, because it does feel like running away from some problems and negative emotions and it’s definitely an adventure, because I have never done anything like it. But above all that, I see this as an act of bravery. Because to be able to step inside that train, for whatever reason, leaving your friends and family members for one month, sit down all by yourself, requires you to be brave.

Its 7:30a.m when I wake up and know for certain that I’m leaving that day. The suitcase is almost done packing, the only things left are the makeup and skincare bag. My computer backpack is already at the door, ready to go. 

The mood in the house is substantially better, as we all trying to see the positive sides of this travel. Honestly, it’s all good things expect the major one of having to leave my mom and sister for one month (more like two weeks, because I can visit them mid-way).

I knew I had to go to Porto for work 5 days before the trip, so the preparation, not only physical but also emotionally, had to be done in a rush, which for a first time is definitely not ideal. The previous days were one of the hardest for me in terms of feelings. I was constantly in an internal fight between my own desire and others’ feelings. Do I go and leave all these people sad, or do I put this moment on hold and if it’s meant to happen it will appear again?

But two things I learn: your feelings are first and we should follow what our instinct tells us; second, whatever the decision is, leave no regrets behind. My dad told me this last one, when I ask him if I should really go travel alone, “whatever decision you make, if you chose to leave or stay, don’t ever think about that again, what is done is done”.

And that’s what I tried to do. I made my decision and even through a lot of tears and fake smiles I took it until the end.

Thereby, here I am, on the platform of Lisboa-Oriente waiting for the train to arrive. We do a lot of small talk to lighten the mood, but it’s obvious for everyone what is going to happen in a few minutes. I’m supposed to leave at 10:09a.m, yet, as always it’s late so I only see the alpha arriving at 10:20.

We all talk about saying goodbye and how hard it is. And I’m definitely not discarding it. Kiss goodbye my mom and sister at the platform knowing that I will only see them in two weeks, and knowing too how sad my sister it’s very hard. But I finally learnt that there is another goodbye that it is so much harder.

The moment that you sit down and look out the window to see them two standing there, at first is all smiles and giggles, because it’s becoming reality, however the second you start waving your hand the emotions become harder to handle, and it only get worse by the start of the movement of the train. That’s when I really felt what is saying goodbye.

After half an hour I’m calmer and I can finally acknowledge that I’m in first class (comfort) in the sit number 62 with a window that gives me a magical view of all the green and city landscapes. Plus, it’s a beautiful day outside so the sunshine is hitting right in face, which feels nice.

The train ride, overall, is very peaceful. I won’t hide the fact that through the whole 3 hours I was feeling anxious and nervous. Yes, I’m here, but what’s going to happen next from here on now it’s going to be all new, and I’m on my own.

Even the ride itself was new for me, because I had never travel in an Alpha train. It was my first time knowing that it can travel 220km/h, which is insane. I also learnt that the Alpha 182, proceeding Faro, after Lisbon only stops 4 more times: Coimbra-B, Aveiro, Gaia, and the last stop Porto-Campanhã, my stop.

During the almost 3 hours I tried to focus on doing some work, but with the turbulence of feelings I just couldn’t so I stayed most of the time looking out, talking to friends and family and sometimes watching youtube videos, because the train has wifi, not the best, but good enough.

Even though I said it was a calm ride, there was a peculiar moment. And as strange as it is to say, it was in the train bathroom, all by myself. 

Have you ever went to the WC in an airplane? Going to one in an Alpha train has nothing to do with it, if you are like me and thought so. In the airplane is so much stable and bigger.

The bathroom in train was so small, that I barely could turn in there, and it shakes so much and it becomes a bit uncomfortable to do your necessities. To add to that, putting your clothes back on, is a whole another challenge, button up being the final boss. And not only that experience is one of its own, they decide to make it more difficult by not having water to wash your hands, being the complete opposite of the flush toilet that it is so powerful that wet the cover. The positive aspect was that I could describe it as clean.

After small moments like this, some running down tears, two or three videos and 50+ songs, I’m finally at my destination. It’s a new city, with new people and adventures, which, nonetheless, feels familiar because we share one important thing, the language.

The final stage of today is waiting for my Uber to arrive, a mirror image of me on the train platform. The only difference is that I’m alone now. “I just need to be brave”, I repeat to myself.

~~

Para alguns é um ato de liberdade, para outros um ato de cobardia, e para algumas pessoas até é apenas mais outra aventura na sua vida, porém, para mim, e tudo isso e mais. Eu sinto-me livre, pela primeira vez irei testar a minha independência que tanto falo; estou a ser um pouco cobarde, porque é como se estivesse a fugir de alguns problemas e energias negativas; e definitivamente é uma aventura, visto que eu nunca fiz nada assim. Mas acima de tudo, eu vejo isto como um ato de bravura. Pois ter a coragem de pôr um pé dentro do comboio, seja por que razão for, e deixar os amigos e a família para trás durante um mês e sentarmo-nos sozinhos, requer coragem.

São 7:30 quando acordo e sei agora com certezas de que irei embora hoje. A mala está quase pronta, as únicas coisas que faltam é a bolsa da maquilhagem e dos produtos de pele. A mochila do computador já está à porta, pronta para ir.

O humor da casa está substancialmente melhor, sendo que estamos todos a tentar ver o lado positivo desta viagem. Honestamente, é tudo coisas boas, expeto o principal fator de ter que deixar a minha mãe e irmã durante um mês (é mais duas semanas, pois posso-as visitar a meio).

Eu soube que teria de viajar para o Porto 5 dias antes, por isso a preparação, física e emocional, foi feita um pouco à pressa, o que não é ideal para a primeira vez. Os dias anteriores foram uns dos mais difíceis em termos das minhas emoções. Estava constantemente numa luta interna entre o meu desejo e os sentimentos dos outros. Será que vou e deixo as pessoas tristes, ou ponho isto de parte e se for para acontecer, a oportunidade surgirá outra vez?

Mas duas coisas aprendi: primeiro, os nossos sentimentos estão em primeiro e devemos seguir os nossos instintos; segundo, qualquer que seja decisão, não ficar com arrependimentos. O meu pai disse-me esta última, quando lhe perguntei se deveria realmente viajar sozinha, "qualquer que seja a decisão que fizeres, se escolheres ir ao ficar, nunca mais penses no assunto, o que está decidido está decidido".

E foi isso que tentei fazer. Tomei uma decisão e mesmo por lágrimas e sorrisos falsos, fui com ela até ao fim.

Assim, aqui estou eu, na plataforma de Lisboa-Oriente à espera do comboio chegar. Fazemos conversas banais para alegrar o humor, mas é óbvio para todos os que irá acontecer dentro de minutos. Era suposto partir às 10:09, contudo, porque está sempre atrasado, só chega às 10:20.

Todos falamos sobre dizer adeus e o quão difícil é. E não estou claramente a descreditar isso. Dar o último beijo à minha mãe e irmã na plataforma a saber que só o voltaria a fazer em duas semanas, e também sabendo como a minha irmã estava triste, foi bastante doloroso. Mas finalmente aprendi que existe outro adeus muito mais custoso.

O momento em que nos sentamos no nosso lugar e olhamos pela janela para vê-las lá, primeiramente é só sorrisos e risinhos nervosos, porque vai mesmo acontecer. No entanto, no segundo que levanto a mão para acenar, todas as emoções são demasiadas para conter, e só vai ficando pior com o começar do movimento do comboio. Foi aí que realmente senti o que dizer adeus quer dizer.

 Depois de meia hora, estou mais calma e consigo finalmente absorver o facto de estar em primeira classe (conforto) no lugar número 62 com uma janela que me dá uma vista mágica para as paisagens verdes e citadinas. Para mais, o dia está lindo lá fora, e por isso o sol bate-me na cara, o que sabe muito bem.

A viagem de comboio, no geral, é calma. Não vou esquecer o facto de que durante as três horas eu senti-me ansiosa e nervosa. Sim, estou aqui, mas o que irei acontecer deste momento em frente vai ser tudo novo, estou por minha conta.

Até a viagem em si foi novidade para mim, uma vez que nunca tinha viajado no comboio Alpha. Foi a primeira vez que soube que pode chegar aos 220km/h, o que é louco. Aprendi também que o Alpha 182, procedente de Faro, depois de Lisboa apenas para mais 4 vezes: Coimbra-B, Aveiro, Gaia e a última Porto-Campanhã, a minha paragem.

Durante estas três horas, ainda tentei focar-me em trabalho, mas com toda esta turbulência de emoções, eu apenas não conseguia. Por isso fiquei a olhar lá para fora, a falar com amigos e família e por vezes a ver videos no youtube. Sim, porque o comboio tem internet, não a melhor, mas suficientemente boa.

Mesmo eu dizendo que foi uma viagem calma, houve um momento peculiar. E por mais estranho que isto soe, aconteceu na casa de banho, completamente sozinha.

Já estiveram num WC de um avião? Ir a um no comboio Alpha não tem nada a ver, se são como eu e pensaram que seria. Num avião é muito mais estável e grande.

A casa de banho no comboio é incrivelmente pequena que eu mal me consigo virar e abana tanto que chega a ser desconfortável para fazer as necessidades. A juntar a isto, voltar a por a roupa, é tudo um outro desafio, sendo abotoar as calças o último boss. E não só toda a experiência é única. como decidiram dificultar não tendo água na torneira para lavar as mãos, sendo o completo oposto do autoclismo que é tão potente que molhou a tampa toda. O aspeto positivo é que consigo descrever como limpa.

Depois de pequenos momentos como este, de algumas lágrimas, dois ou três vídeos e 50+ músicas, finalmente chego ao meu destino. Uma nova cidade, com novas pessoas e aventuras, que, no entanto, é-me familiar pois partilhamos uma coisa muito importante, a língua.

O último capítulo deste dia é esperar que o Uber chegue, uma imagem espelhada de mim na plataforma do comboio. A única diferença sendo que eu agora estou sozinha. "Só preciso de ser corajosa", repito para mim mesma.






0 comments